Did you know the leading cause of childhood deaths is preventable accidents? From TV tip-overs and fire related deaths to medication overdoses and improperly used car seats, 50% of preventable accidents occur in or around the home. Along with being informed, we should be ready to take action with tech tools at our fingertips to help keep children safe.
Check out a few wearable tech options that can to help you monitor your children daily and respond to emergencies with expedience:
The SAFE Kids Paxie Band
A fashionably fun GPS-enabled wearable device designed for children, with an accompanying mobile management application. The SAFE Kids Paxie Band measures ambient temperature, GPS location, heart rate, boundary settings and activity tracking in order to give peace of mind to busy, on-the-go families. According to the Founder, Merle Lee Freeman, ”Day after day, we hear stories of tragic accidents happening to children, often occurring while they are away from their parents.” “My mission in creating this wearable was to come up with a device that would be fashionable and fun for children while allowing their parents to keep a pulse on their safety while they are apart. The Paxie band also tracks activity to encourage healthy and active lifestyles.” The SAFE Kids Paxie Band comes in several sizes and is designed for children ages 18 months to 12 years of age. Features include:
- GPS and boundary setting: Users can check the location of their child at any time via the Safe Mobile App or online dashboard and will receive a notification when the child leaves a pre-set boundary
- Ambient temperature: With cases of children suffering from heatstroke or infants/toddlers accidentally left behind in cars making the news each year, the SAFE Kids Paxie band notifies the parent if the temperature around the band becomes excessively high or low
- Heart Rate: The band monitors the wearer’s heart rate for sudden spikes associated with allergic reactions or panic attacks
- Activity Tracking: Tracks steps to encourage active lifestyles and exercise
- Interchangeable, water-resistant bands: Fashionistas aged 18 months to 12 years will be able to select from a variety of colors and patterns
- Extended battery life: The battery life is an impressive 36 hours and can be charged via a micro-USB cable
- Mobile Management: Parents can track their kids via a mobile application available for Android and iOS as well as through an online dashboard
My Buddy Tag
A child safety blue tooth enabled device that helps parents keep their children safe via an out of range alert to help prevent losing your child; water safety alert to help prevent accidental drowning; panic alarm for your child to alert you when in a threatening situation; personal ID to help reunite a lost child with the parents. Highlighted as easy to wear even for infants, additional features include:
- Helps prevent accidental drowning by alerting you when it is submerged in water for more than 5 seconds.
- Alerts at the touch of a button–a panic button conveniently located on wristband. Perfect for private and public areas or threatening circumstances.
- Email notification of the time and map locations when your child was last seen by BuddyTag App – Ideal for parents with a nanny taking the kids out for activities.
A stylish GPS enabled smartwatch for kids 3 and up, that doesn’t scream wearable technology. According to the website, the hereO watch works in sync with the hereO Family location app, which is also a standalone app that the entire family can use to share their whereabouts with each other. Family members share locations simply by running the app (on smartphones, tablets, and desktops) or broadcasting a check-in to a specific location. With historical locations, parents can track where their children have been throughout the day, reassuring that they have not visited any unsafe places.
Do you think any of these wearable devices could help keep children safe? Why or Why not? Leave me a comment below.